Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Do Biofuels Mean Inexpensive Food Is a Thing of the Past?

Ok, so it seems I was a bit wrong about the connection between farm subsidies and food prices. A new study is out that explains things in plain English: Do Biofuels Mean Inexpensive Food Is a Thing of the Past?

1 comment:

Walter Jeffries said...

One of the things that bothers me about the whole Farm Bill and subsidies thing is that too many people think all farmers are getting subsidies. There is so much money being handed out but in reality it is only going to about 6% of the farmers - and yes, they are making out like the bandits they are. Money talks and they have big lobbyists. The other 94% of us have to compete against them in the market place without any subsidies. That I don't like.

I vote for eliminating all subsidies, in all fields, not just farming. One of the major reason that things are shipped half way 'round the world is fuel is subsidized. If it weren't then local production and buying would be come more attractive which would then keep jobs local, money local and all that good stuff.

Will food get more expensive with biofuels eating up the available sugars (corn, etc). Yes. But that also makes grass fed that much more attractive. Grass fed is also good because pastured cows, chickens, sheep, goats, pigs, etc are eating food that we can't eat often on terrain that can't be otherwise farmed and turning it into high quality proteins and lipids (e.g., delicious fat).