Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Amtrak

I took Amtrak from Corallis (Albany really) to Portland. My friend Eric picked me up for work. It's been a while since I've taken it.

Today they had "Scooby Doo 2" on the TV. It's got to be one of the dumbest movies ever made. I occasionally watched the show growing up, but the movie was as dumb as all the cartoon versions rolled into one. It had more fart jokes than I could handle, and I'm all about farting. Scooby even got rid of one of the bad guys by farting on him. About the deepest part of the movie was the allusion toward Fred having unrequited love for Daphne.

The best thing about the ride, other than not having to drive, was that they had a drawing for a free bowl of steaming oatmeal. The guy announcing the drawing had a great time with it, finishing with "it's to die for". I don't know that the lady who won it ever collected.

Amtrak doesn't seem to attract as many weird people as Greyhound, but with the recent announcements that Greyhound is cutting out a bunch of the small cities on its routes, some are forced to ride Amtrak. While waiting for the train to come, I had the pleasure of listening to this one dude who talking at a bored looking older gentleman. The old guy got to hear all about this dude's rich uncles and aunts. I couldn't help but think - why don't you hit them up for some cash to buy some class. The talker had a black button down shirt with a dragon on it, but it was completely unbuttoned - and his physique was not worth watching. Well, he's now pacing around the train, with his shirt still completely unbuttoned. (Update: upon leaving the train, I passed him boring some poor conductor while dragging on a cigarette, shirt still wide open.)

Sadly, the Amtrak line from Eugene to Seattle doesn't have Wi-fi, so I wasn't able to surf the web, I worked on the materials for a class I'm about to teach and wrote this dealy.

No comments: