Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Big Day Tomorrow

I get to meet my boss' boss' boss tomorrow. He's relatively new in the department (heck, all of the management from that level up is new in the past 2 years) and doesn't know me from a hole in the wall.

The question is, will my reasoning win him over to my side. I asked a friend who already talked to this guy, what was his reaction. About the only point the boss-man made that my friend wasn't ready for was that an HP VP recently revoked working from home for their employees (and HP originally backed flex-work and remote working from it's inception in '67). I did a little more looking, and it only applied to the IT folks, not everyone. And the stock may have gone up since then, but there's nothing to indicate it was the VP's decision. It could just as likely be the fact that the CEO spied on board members. Both things happened at the same time.

Also, in 1996, Sun's CEO mandated, "no more powerpoint" and it's stock rose from $3 to a high of $64 in late 2000. Should we ban powerpoint?

Anyway, I'm getting all riled up and have all sorts of facts and points about our department.

This boss-man has 17 teams under his reign. 11 of the 17 teams have either 2 or more people working in different sites, or the manager is in a different site than the majority of the team. That's nearly 2/3!!!! 4 of the 17 have the manager in a different site. How effective is that?

Not to mention that our team has 3 members in Hudson MA. We only overlap their working hours by 2.5 to 3 hours a day. Again, how effective?

I could go on and on, but I've got to keep things on an even keel. It's not personal, it's business. And pissing off the boss-man isn't a good way to keep your job.

Wish me luck.

No comments: