Saturday, April 21, 2007

Running With Simone

I went on a run today with Simone. She's pretty quick for someone who can't quite yet get to her feet on her own.

I'm trying to build up my running so that the next triathlon isn't so painful. That means three times a week, building up to 12 miles a week. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I think it's necessary to improve my triathlon times. Plus, if I ever hope to run an Olympic triathlon, I've got to be able to run 6 miles without dying.

Anyway, Mary is out partying with some gal friends, so I thought I'd take Simone out for a jog. It'd been a lazy day for me and her so far, we'd not even left the house (it's raining pretty constantly). I set her up in the Burley with toys and pillows and a blanket and begin to jog. At my turnaround point I checked to see how she was doing, and it turns out she fell fast asleep.

Half-way back I reach up to rub my eye and I poke my contact out of my eye. Gaaah! I lose a contact while running, and it's been raining so the ground is wet. Talk about a needle in a haystack. Plus, I was running (super fast dontcha know) so I don't even know where it fell. Long, not so exciting, story short, I do find it on the path, and after a quick rinse in my mouth, back in it goes. Simone sleeps through the drama of it all, happily asleep.

If only I could feel as peaceful running as she looked sleeping.

No comments: