Monday, July 16, 2007

Innovation at Risk

I've had many a discussion with friends about patents (specifically whether or not they should be applied to software). Here's an interesting book that's about to come out that looks at patents from an economic point of view - basically, are they adding to our economy or dragging it down.

Innovation at Risk

Three chapters are available on-line. The first is the introduction (worth reading), and I imagine that I should read the ninth so I can win the next debate.

1 comment:

Walter Jeffries said...

Software shouldn't get patents. Life shouldn't get patents - e.g., Monstersanto and friends. I even question most if not all other patents. And I'm speaking as an engineer and inventor. The whole patent system is depressing and repressive. The reality is many people can come up with an idea independently. What we've got now is corps and lawyers abusing the system as trolls rather than innovating.