Friday, June 11, 2004

Kitty Crack

Cats on catnip are pretty funny. Ours (we have three: Fysh, Jade, and Jupiter) roll around in it, lick a lot, and become very playful. Playful in the cute way cats in cartoons play with balls of yarn. I was always real careful about how much I gave the cats because I figured they'd OD on the stuff, and I'm a cheap bastard. But, the last time I went to the vet and she gave Milo (sadly, he's no longer with us) about a 1/4 cup of catnip.

Who would have thunk that cats like morel mushrooms? Turns out ours do. We were woken up last night by the sound of a paper bag full of dried mushrooms being batted around the hardwood floors.

I dragged my sleepy butt out of the bed and poked around the house until I found Jupiter staring at me, with the bag of mushrooms in his mouth, and a look that said, "You thought they'd be safe in the cupboard, didn't you? Sucker." Needless to say, they're safely stored away in a drawer now.

If catnip is kitty marijuana, then I guess morels are kitty crack. They went nuts just smelling the mushrooms and playing with them like dried-up bugs. I wonder what they would have done had they done more than just nibble the shrooms.

On an unrelated note, I went to the bike store to get a couple more spokes to replace the one that broke last night. I chatted with one of the bike builders there while I was waiting for another to put new handlebar tape on my road bike. This guy has 9 bikes, and he's built all but 2 of them! The kid couldn't have been more than 18 years old. The latest one is a full suspension frame, and the down tube has a triangular cross-section with 8 gussets. Or perhaps the head tube had 8 gussets - it was large enough to house some 1.5 inch Manitou fork. He said that he just needed to pony up the cash for a rear fork.

Yeah, I get all excited that I can replace a couple of spokes and true the wheel up. This guy builds his bikes from scratch.

But, my point is, I had to get the rear wheel in order because I'm gonna race this weekend. Mary has some sort of herb conference - not what you think, she's a naturopathic physician. I've only done one other race, a duathalon. It was was fun - but I did the bike portion after my friend, Nick, ran the race. As a result, I was able to pass a ton of people because they were all tired out from running the first 5 miles. Now I will be able to ride against fresh riders. The question that remains is: am I a beginner or a clydesdale?

Meanwhile, I ordered the new rear wheel. It'll be here in about two weeks (he has to order the PW Hub as he didn't have it in stock). No more fixing spokes.

No comments: