Sunday, June 20, 2004

Movie Critic

We watched "50 First Dates" last night. I'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler, but I did really like "The Wedding Singer", so I thought I'd give Adam and Drew another chance.

Spoilers ahead.

One and a half thumbs up. It's a really cute movie about a guy who really loves a woman who can't remember who he is. The movie has a rather actually serious message, and some good humor. I had a little trouble not seeing Sean Astin's character as Samwise Gangee with a lisp. Rob Shneider's character should have been thrown out the window - his off-color jokes were just dumb and completely out of place - more like what a standard Adam Sandler movie wants.

I especially liked the ending, they didn't candy-coat the situation and do what I expected - which was give Lucy her memory back.

Anyway, the movie recommended for a good romantic evening (even if the wife falls aslweep 2 minutes into it). It has the standard Sandler songs and the standard moments of overacting (fake crying, etc.), but it's definitely worth the rental.

As a bonus, the movie has lots of remakes of 80's tunes, most of which are pretty interesting: The Cure "Friday I'm In Love" and "Love Song", Sting's "Every Breath You Take", and some others.

No comments: