Thursday, March 17, 2005

Univega

This week I picked up my mom's old 12-speed. It's a Univega women's bike, candy-apple red. She hasn't ridden it since I was in middle-school, and Mary is looking for a commuter bike she can ride while wearing a skirt or dress.

The bike has been hanging in the garage for the past 15 years, and slowly my dad has cannibalized parts off it to fit his Univega. Luckily, he still had the original 27-inch wheels (not the now standard 700C). I just need to get a new crank, 2 chain-rings, and a front derailer. And, of course, some new tires and tubes.

The shifter levers are old-school, friction shifters, and are mounted up on the handlebar stem. The handlebars themselves are the swept back style often found on cruisers.

It'll be a fun project for the evenings.

No comments: