Saturday, February 07, 2009

What Have You Changed Your Mind About? Why?

Interesting idea here, ask a bunch of smart people interesting questions and post the results. The question for 2008 was this:

The World Question Center 2008:
When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science.

WHAT HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND ABOUT? WHY?
There are some amazing essays in there, very thought provoking, I won't even try to pick out favorites (I certainly haven't read them all).

So, what would I answer?

I've thought about this off and on for a month or two.

Part of me is real cynical. I see global warming and environmental pollution/destruction in general, and our lack of action to solve any of those problems. Similarly, the U.S.'s role in the world (especially the last 8 years) as this big bully with a heavy handed, militaristic, unilateral relationship with the world. And to top it off, a good half of our citizens support this attitude, almost taking pride in ignorance and blind nationalism.

For a while, when I let myself think about the state of the world, I was very negative.

But I think I've changed my mind about the gloom and doom.

I now see signs of hope in lots of little places: local farmers, alternative energy projects, some of the changes in transparency by Obama are encouraging.

So I think my change my mind about our prospects.

Plus, it's hard not to be positive when I've got such a wonderful wife and joy of a daughter. They're both gone this weekend, and it's odd not having them around. They also give me lots of hope.

No comments: