Saturday, February 13, 2010

Winter Olympics

It's the first night of the Olympics (opening ceremonies don't count).

My impression: way way way too many commercials. I'm pretty sure there is more time spent on commercials than actually showing competition.

The short-track skating was pretty exciting with Ohno getting silver only because the two Koreans took each other out on the last turn.

What I don't get is why the commentators are so bad. I'm watching the women's moguls - and some gal started down the hill. The commentators commented that she was skiing with a torn ACL. Then we're treated to this, "She's skiing with a torn ACL. Imagine... what it'd be like to ski 3 football fields with a torn ACL."

Thanks genius. I have no idea what it'd be like. Imagine, the most beautiful sunset in the world, it's like the most beautiful sunset in the world.

That, and all the women "really excel in the middle section [of the moguls]". They all excel doing moguls? That's not helping me understand the sport or what to look for while watching the event.

And then there was the short track. Lots of bumping and passing going on. One of the commentators asked, "is that [bump] legal?" The other jumped in and really helped out with, "I wouldn't want to have to make that call at this level." Thanks a lot for your help. What about this gem? "She's skiing for a medal here." Really? In the Olympics? She wants a medal? I thought she was skiing for fourth, or maybe for the commemorative dessert plates.

And earlier there was the ski jumping, and again they'd say the same thing about all the jumpers. "Look how he explodes... immediately gets over the skiis... really loking for the air...". So... not... useful.

The commentators are really helping no more than if they were saying, "ooh, ahh. very pretty."

Some of the best athletes, some of the worst commentators.

Makes me wish I were watching the Canadian coverage (just ask my dad about the XC skiing event he watched 10 years ago when a skier broke a pole...)

No comments: