Monday, September 10, 2018

Six weeks and still going

I'm like the energizer bunny...

The past two weeks have been some ups and downs, starting with the downs.

For a little over a week, my blood sugars rose above 100 - generally around 105-106, but as high as 110.  I didn't change my diet much, but I was not being as strict about my carb intake.  I did measure it out on two days, and those days were around 50g.  Nevertheless, my blood sugar rose above 100 and stayed there.  I also gained a couple pounds.

Mary talked with a friend of hers who had done keto and found that when she plateaued, a two day reset usually did the trick.  So, for the past two days I ate nothing but ground beef and butter.   Yummmmm!

Actually, it wasn't bad.  I did eat salmon and butter on Saturday morning because we didn't have any beef, but we loaded up with 4 pounds which I cooked with some spices, and have since finished off.  After two days of that, my blood sugar this morning was a middle of the desired range at 90!  Additionally, I dropped down to 244# - which is what I was 3 weeks ago.  So, good news.

I have really been eating nothing but eggs, meat, and greens, with the occasional tomato/green bean/cauliflower, and dark chocolate every third night or so.  I had one Newman-O's cookie last week, and a taste of the bread Simone made.  But no sugar/grain other than that...  It hasn't been hard, other than feeling a little discouraged when the 90% diet (as in, I was doing it 90% correctly) was leading to higher blood sugar levels.

I think the conclusion is that I need to keep a tight rein on the carbs.  I can't just guess at it.

Onward!

No comments: