Sunday, May 01, 2005

Another Weekend

My wheel finally came. Yay. After 5 months, I finally have my full-suspension bike back. I would have ridden it this weekend, except my left eye swelled up so much that I looked like an overweight Borris Yeltsin. Yup, the mango inflammation just got worse over the weekend. No riding for me. Just resting with either an ice-pack or a tea bag (hey, it works) on my left eye.

I did finish two books though, "Absurdistan" and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." One is about unbelievable craziness one guy finds during his travels, and the other is a science fiction book. ba-dum-dum!

But seriously, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law-law picked up "Absurdistan" for me thinking I'd like it. Sure enough, they were right - I had trouble putting it down. Half the book was witty and funny, the other half was rather scary. Kind of how the first scene in "Saving Private Ryan" reaffirmed my certainty that I didn't want to go to war, "Absurdistan" reaffirmed my believe that as messed up as I might think the U.S. is, I could be living in any one of those horrible situations reported in the book. And not that this could replace a "thank you" card, but my Auzzie relatives can expect to get a card saying pretty much what I just wrote. Two thumbs up on the book.

I read "The Guide" because the movie adaptation opened this weekend, and I needed a refresher on the storyline. It's a fast read, and I'm not sure how they're going to turn it into a movie, but I'm sure the DVD will be worth a rental (I'm too cheap to watch movies in the theater).

And while I'm speaking of random things, my Cat, Jade, is a seat thief. She takes everyone's chair/sitting-spot. If you get up to go to the bathroom, or perhaps one of the cats gets up to drink some water, you're sure to find Jade sitting in your spot just seconds after you've vacated your position. I can't figure it out. Perhaps she likes the already warmed-up cushion. She even picks on Jupiter, not waiting for him to leave, but bothering him until he leaves - then settling in for a nap. I can't quite figure out the attraction - perhaps she's just attention starved.

ps. I only mowed 100 gallons of grass this weekend. I'm keeping on top of things.

No comments: